Thursday, May 8, 2014

Saving Rhinos one 3D print at a time

My girlfriend recently came up to me and asked me if I could help with a fundraiser that her work is having. Every year the Los Angeles Zoo keepers have a huge fundraiser were all the proceeds go to Rhino conservation.
Since I have recently been doing a lot of 3D printing, a light went off my head. Why not use 3D printing and technology to help save rhinos? Since its to help rhinos I sculpted a rhino in ZBrush . We then  brainstormed to see how the rhino could be put to use. We decided to go in the jewelry direction and make charms. The Form1 printer can print in very high resolution, it was able to capture all the detail that was in the model. I printed 2 different rhino pieces. The pieces were molded and cast in resin and then painted faux bronze. I hope these pieces bring in money to help. 

If you would like to donate here is the site and details on the event. 


Here are pictures of the process.


     Ready to print
  Printed 3D Rhino


     Preparing for molds


      Final paint





Special Thanks to Francisco Charlie Hernandez for helping me mold and cast.


No comments:

Post a Comment